Tubing split with hacksaw and secured with hose clamps
- This modification took me from having to wait until the pile up thinned out so I was the “last caller” to where I have been successful in breaking pileups near the front end.
- The HF2V does not perform well on 80/40 anymore but is useable through a tuner.
- This HF2V is ground mounted in the clear for 40’ all around and has 15-32’ buried radials and 4-4’ ground rods at the base.
- The bandwidth is about 25 kHz at 3:1 (double the original)
- I also added a 50 PFD remote tuned variable capacitor (very wide spaced plates as the voltage here is very high) across the 160 base coupling capacitors. This allows me to swing the resonance from 1.800 to 1.860.
- After this modification, the antenna was retuned to resonance on 160 by shorting out about 3 turns of the base loading capacitor.
- The antenna will still self support after this mod but I guy mine at 8’ due to the strong winds here.